Thursday, September 12, 2013

Transcendental In A Million Ways...

Greetings Friends.

I love to be able to blog and share my more personal thoughts about this grand new path.  Many of you know I spent years teaching philosophy, and then switched to a second career: 2 decades as a mental health therapist.  When people ask how I keep "reinventing myself" I feel odd, though the question is always well-intended.  In ancient times philosophy, psychology and art were not really considered 3 disciplines; the Greeks, for example, did not tear things apart and specialize, though perhaps now we have reason to do so.  That last is an argument for another day.

What I feel is that I have synthesized rather than reinvented.  It all comes with me into what I do now.  And the article below, for which I must credit my beloved artist Lillian Almeida, seems to capture that. The arts bring us joy, self-discipline with fun (potentially!,) can heal us and inspire us like almost nothing else.  After 20 years as a psychotherapist, I feel sometimes I am just working the other end.  The joy end, the deep reach into the self at the conscious and unconscious level, to see what unique emerges -- to see what each bright light that we each really are truly has to say.  And it is community, because always we are saying it both to ourselves and to each other.

I love my job.  I love working with artists and all the amazing people who come in every day whether to buy or for inspiration.  You all inspire me, too!  Enjoy this, it speaks worlds.  And listen to the words of the children at the end of the article.  Best to you all, Amy

http://dailynightly.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/01/18005192-principal-fires-security-guards-to-hire-art-teachers-and-transforms-elementary-school

2 comments:

  1. you are an amazing woman and, should be very proud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to one of the many wonderful Roberts in my life for such kind words. This one is not from my beloved Curator.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to us.